Sunday, October 26, 2008

An Irish Wake

Photobucket
Four of my nieces and two of my sisters at the memorial service for my father. It was a lovely mass in the Catholic church near my sister Char's home. Afterwards, we all returned to Char & Dave's to relax and reminesce about dad. Note the shirts worn by the three nieces in the center. My mother had a penchant for purchasing clothes for dad. When she found something he liked, or rather she liked, she bought one in every color. He had about ten of these shirts and he looked handsome in every one of them. So ten of us wore them back at the house. Also note the eyepatches. My father wore one for years, due to a macular condition he had. He told all the grandchildren he was a retired pirate.
Pictured above, left to right, are Melanie, my sister Char, Samantha, Danielle, Emily and my sister Ginny.
Pictured below, left to right, are me, Judy, Char and Ginny. I would have loved to stay late and have lemondrop martini's with them but needed to get home to my husband. I know he missed me terribly.

Photobucket
I love my family.

13 comments:

Deb said...

what a lovely way to pay tribute to their grandfather! Looks like the memorial was a love fest for the head of the family.
Hope your husband is doing well...have a serene sunday.

Mary said...

It's so nice that you had the chance to come together and celebrate your father's life. Blessings to you all!

Pat - Arkansas said...

That was a wonderful celebration of your father's life, eye-patch and all. May God's blessings be upon you, one and all.

DesertHen said...

What a wonderful tribute to your father......I loved the story about the shirts. What a nice way to remember your father/Grandfather by wearing the shirts and eye patches.

Peaceful blesssing to you and yours......

Hilary said...

Kate, I love the way you celebrated your Dad. The shirts, the eye patches.. and even the lemon martinis. Very touching.

Sue said...

I love the eye patches...hope your hubby is doing better...

brneyedgal967 said...

What a great wake - go out with laughter is the way I hope it is with me. I'd rather have my loved ones chuckling and sipping a nice drink rather than singing solemn psalms and crying.

Lovely. Thanks for sharing.

Donna Boucher said...

Oh my gosh!!! What fun!

You girls are fabulous!

Mental P Mama said...

I am so, so glad you were able to go to this. And I love the tributes to your dad;)

Shimmy Mom said...

What an awesome tribute. I hope my children will want to celebrate my life instead of just being sad.
*hugs*

dlyn said...

Beautiful way to celebrate his life and what he meant to all of you. LOVE seeing you with your family!

Louise said...

I love it that you had this time to share and laugh!

To other posts (I have to do this when I'm so far behind):

Sunday Morning--I love the quote and believe it wholeheartedly. It seems like you live by it.

Your New Kitchen Window--I LOVE this window! The window itself is charming--the shape, the color, the window sill. But the view makes it all the better. What a view to have from a place where so much time is spent!

George Adujusting--What a beautiful dog! We have learned that dogs adjust to anything as long as we and our stuff are here! We moved from a humid area with a little space to a desert with none. The dogs didn't care a bit. They walked in, smelled the stuff that arrived before us, and were as content as could be. The cats? Not so much!

Honeysuckle--Another beautiful photo. I hope the bad washed away.

A New England Life said...

I'm so sorry about your dad, but I do think he would laugh at the way you honored his life. Your family must have a great sense of humor : )

Sharon