Saturday, January 3, 2009

A study in black & white

Photobucket
In case you haven't noticed, I don't post a lot of portraiture. (Say that three times real fast.)
I never really thought it was 'my thing', preferring stationary objects like mushrooms and flowers.
This is a photo that I took over the summer at a graduation party held for my niece, Kim. (The original post on the Chronicles blog is here.) For Christmas, I gave my niece a photobook I'd made on Shutterfly.com. In it were all the photos I'd taken at her party. And this turned out to be one of my favorites.

13 comments:

{i}Post said...

It is beautiful! I feel the same way about portraits, preferring nature photography instead!

Deb said...

I am sure that this was her favorite gift ever! Beautiful job, Kate!

MindyLew said...

Wow - what another wonderful captured moment. I made some photo gifts for christmas also and everyone loves these because they can be passed on in the family forever.

Country Girl said...

Thanks, all. Yes, MindyLew, I love the idea of photos as gifts that can be passed on in the family!

~ CG

Sue said...

Hi Kate....Happy New Year!! Your portrait photography is as excellent as everything else you do...

Photo Boost said...

Wow, I love people photography, and this warm black & white with the soft focus effect is excellent! Hope to see much more of these in your blog this year!

Mary said...

Yep, I'm a nature girl, too. No one in my family will allow me to take their pic...

This is a wonderful shot, Kate. Such beautiful light and tones! And I bet she will treasure it for years to come.

Mental P Mama said...

Beautiful. What a wonderful gift.

Kacey said...

I'm such a sucker for black and white photos! That is lovely.

DesertHen said...

Beautiful photo!!

theArthurClan said...

You need to start taking more portraits...this is beautiful!

Thanks for joining in the fun on our website,

~Angie
co-founder of I ♥ Faces

drewmark19 said...

I second what Angie said! You might not do a lot of portraiture, but you sure did a great job on this!

Chocolate on my Cranium said...

The lighting creates a nice soft effect. And I love the B&W.