Monday, April 6, 2009

Morning dove

Morning Dove

My husband and I sat in the backyard today, facing the dogwood tree with the bird feeders. We had a cup of tea as we talked. This is our first spring at the manor house on the hill and we heard many sounds. A car in the development nearby revved its engine and another answered from a house along our driveway. A pileated woodpecker drummed on one of the trees along the woods. And then we heard a morning dove with its soulful cry. Shortly afterward, it alighted in the tree and I captured a couple of pictures of it. Such a pretty bird.

9 comments:

Mary said...

Oh Kate, that's a wonderful portrait! Funny thing, but I always thought it was "mourning" dove, because the call sounded sad...

Sounds like you are enjoying spring at your house on the hill. :)

Jan said...

This is a wonderful shot of the dove. I love how the feathers are articulated.

Mental P Mama said...

I have many pair of them...and I love to listen to their beautiful coo's.

Dawning Inspiration said...

So lovely!

The Good Life in Virginia said...

beautiful snap of the dove...

Deb said...

He does not look real. He looks like he's stuffed and perched on that branch.

Woman in a Window said...

Love the photos here and the layout. Sorry David, I'm still confused. To google I go asap.

Woman in a Window said...

OHMYGOD, I know you David Spade! I even know ten to twelve women you've dated. What I don't know, is how you've popped up at her site! Do tell. Are you dating her as well?

Cindy said...

Great shot. Doves are one of my favorites because of their song/call.