Saturday, January 3, 2009

A study in black & white

Photobucket
In case you haven't noticed, I don't post a lot of portraiture. (Say that three times real fast.)
I never really thought it was 'my thing', preferring stationary objects like mushrooms and flowers.
This is a photo that I took over the summer at a graduation party held for my niece, Kim. (The original post on the Chronicles blog is here.) For Christmas, I gave my niece a photobook I'd made on Shutterfly.com. In it were all the photos I'd taken at her party. And this turned out to be one of my favorites.

13 comments:

Driftwood and Pumpkin said...

It is beautiful! I feel the same way about portraits, preferring nature photography instead!

Deb said...

I am sure that this was her favorite gift ever! Beautiful job, Kate!

A Friendly Reader Only said...

Wow - what another wonderful captured moment. I made some photo gifts for christmas also and everyone loves these because they can be passed on in the family forever.

Country Girl said...

Thanks, all. Yes, MindyLew, I love the idea of photos as gifts that can be passed on in the family!

~ CG

Sue said...

Hi Kate....Happy New Year!! Your portrait photography is as excellent as everything else you do...

Photo Boost said...

Wow, I love people photography, and this warm black & white with the soft focus effect is excellent! Hope to see much more of these in your blog this year!

Mary said...

Yep, I'm a nature girl, too. No one in my family will allow me to take their pic...

This is a wonderful shot, Kate. Such beautiful light and tones! And I bet she will treasure it for years to come.

Mental P Mama said...

Beautiful. What a wonderful gift.

Anonymous said...

I'm such a sucker for black and white photos! That is lovely.

DesertHen said...

Beautiful photo!!

angie {the arthur clan} said...

You need to start taking more portraits...this is beautiful!

Thanks for joining in the fun on our website,

~Angie
co-founder of I ♥ Faces

Drew said...

I second what Angie said! You might not do a lot of portraiture, but you sure did a great job on this!

Montserrat said...

The lighting creates a nice soft effect. And I love the B&W.