Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The apple pie that wins hearts

Homemade Apple Pie
Someone was cranky today. I won't name names but decided to cheer that someone up with one of their favorite desserts. This homemade apple pie is really wonderful, people. It's simple and perfect, and easy to prepare. The recipe is from Farm Journal's Country Cookbook (Doubleday & Co., Inc. 1959, reprinted 1972) and I highly recommend this pie.

FAVORITE APPLE PIE

A pie that lives up to its name ~ it's one of our best
Pastry for 2-crust pie
6 large tart apples
2 Tbsp. flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
3 Tbsp. butter
Peel and quarter apples into saucepan (cut each quarter into about 4 slices). Add 1/4 cup cold water; simmer just until tender, about 5 minutes (do not overcook). Cool.
Fill pastry-lined 9" pie pan with cooled apples.
Combine remaining ingredients, except butter; sprinkle over apples; dot with butter. Moisten edges of undercrust.
Adjust top crust; cut 6 chevron vents; flute edges.
Bake in very hot oven (450 deg)10 minutes; reduce heat to moderate (350 deg) and bake 45 minutes longer.

***********************************************

I use an old family recipe for the pie crust. And if you must know, it's Betty Crocker pie crust mix. Just add water and roll. And I always put a heart in the middle. It's a symbol of how much I love to cook.
Not.
Apologies to all who are planning on dieting for the New Year. I just had to share this.

18 comments:

ELK said...

this is truly amazing...a work of art..to EAT!

MaggieGem said...

This look absolutely wonderful! I'll have to try it some day... btw I tried your Pain au Chocolate recipe for a group get together, everyone just loved them! I think I love them even more, they were just so easy to make!

Happy baking!

Maggie
This Life Thru the Lens

Caroline said...

OMG...does that look amazing!

Diane Veloso Blanco said...

ooooohhhh that looks sooo yummmyyy!!! happy new year =)

S. Etole said...

oh yummy ... yummy, yummy, yummy!

The JR said...

I can see how this would make somebody un-cranky.

Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Mental P Mama said...

Did it work?

Mary said...

OK, now I'm craving pie for breakfast. Yesterday it was cookies, today it's pie -- you're killing me here... ;)

Daryl said...

You are turning into Rachael Ray!

The Good Life in Virginia said...

that looks might yummy...i can smell the apples :)
hoping it cheered someone up!

Carolynn Anctil said...

That looks good enough to eat! *smile* Actually, I haven't had a good slice of apple pie in ages. I may just have to try this.

Unknown said...

Looks good to eat.

Si

Betty said...

A friend gave me a bag of apples I was going to make some applesauce.I have just change my mind and it is your fault(LOL)
~~Love Hugs and Good Thoughts~~

Jeanne Frances Klaver said...

Eating is my hobby and recipes feed my soul. Thank you!

Deb said...

save me a piece...I'm coming right over!

Sharon said...

Looks yummy!

I haven't even graduated to pie crust mix. I used pillsbury refrigerated crusts, unroll and bake. ;)

Sue said...

what a great looking pie...I wouldn't want to cut it and upset that fabulous heart....I hope cranky person smiled when they saw it...Happy New Year!!

Kerri Farley said...

YUM!